- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Yellen testimony sparks another big gold price surge
After falling back during the early stages of the Fed Chair's report on the latest FOMC meeting, gold surged again through the psychological $1200 level as the statement continued suggesting more Fed uncertainty over the economy.Thursday, 11 February 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: China still building gold reserves, running down forex
China added another 16 tonnes of gold to its officially reported reserves in December bringing them to 1,778 tonnes - but is this the real figure? Chinese forex reserves also fell by $98.5 billion to help support the yuan.Tuesday, 09 February 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: What does peak gold mean for the gold price
The latest estimate from consultancy GFMS sees new mined gold output already turning down in Q4 last year and suggests a 3% fall in output in 2016. But is this enough to have any real impact on the gold price.Friday, 05 February 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: China gold output falters for first time in around 20 years
After around 20 years of continuing domestic gold output growth China's gold production fell by 0.4% in 2015 according to latest figures from the China Gold Association.Wednesday, 03 February 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: World’s Top 10 Gold producers – Peak Gold already here?
The latest statistical analysis from precious metals consultancy GFMS shows global gold output beginning to turn down at last - a trend which is expected to continueMonday, 01 February 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: China’s gold absorption, not retail consumption, is the key to global gold flows
Mainstream consultancy Chinese consumption figures hugely understate the amount of gold which China is actually absorbing.Thursday, 28 January 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Fed Rate Rise has Boosted the Dollar AND Gold
Contrary to accepted theory, although the US dollar has risen since the Fed increased rates last month, the gold price has risen too, while equities have suffered.Tuesday, 26 January 2016
- Do GLD ETF gold inflows suggest a positive sentiment change?
In the first three weeks of the current year the GLD gold ETF has seen an increase of 21.8 tonnes of gold - thus clawing back one third of its total outflow last year. Does this represent a change in sentiment for gold?Saturday, 23 January 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS:Russia buying more gold than China. 21.8 tonnes in Dec.
Russia's central bank has announced a further 21.8 tonne increase in its gold holdings in December.Thursday, 21 January 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS:Chinese Gold Assoc figures equate domestic gold demand to SGE withdrawals
Figure from the Chinese Gold Association's yearbook shows China's gold demand is virtually identical to SGE withdrawal figures, hugely contradicting WGC estimates.Tuesday, 19 January 2016