- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Gold starts higher after US Holiday. Silver disappointing. Gloomy on pgms.
Precious metals prices moved higher this morning following the Martin Luther King Day holiday, but silver's advance remains muted and the future for pgms uncertainTuesday, 17 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: A dismal future for pgms
Faster growth in electric vehicle production than expected could suggest a dismal long term future for pgm prices with platinum particularly vulnerable because of the 'war' on diesel emissions.Tuesday, 17 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Gold: $1,200 breakthrough but not held - but next week?
As the controversy over Donald Trump's assumption of the US Presidency continues one can probably anticipate further gold price strength in the week(s) aheadSaturday, 14 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Anti-Trump accusations and rhetoric stimulating gold price
The unprecedented level of spinning against Donald Trump by the U.S. Security services and others is undermining the U.S. economy and is thus positive for gold in an era of political uncertainty.Wednesday, 11 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Is China falling out of love with gold? Does it make any difference?
According to latest figures out of the Chinese central bank the country sold almost 21 tonnes of gold in December, the first reported such sale at least since the beginning of this century.Tuesday, 10 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: 2016 SGE gold withdrawals lowest for four years
The latest published figure for Shanghai Gold Exchange gold withdrawals in December brings the year's total to 1,970 tonnes - very substantial, but still the first time the annual figure has been below 2,000 tonnes since 2012Saturday, 07 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Huge rise in Turkish gold imports in December
At 36.7 tonnes, Turkey's gold imports in December were enormous - even in a global context. While some may be destined for onwards export to Iran, Turkey remains one of the world's largest gold consumers in its own right.Wednesday, 04 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: How did gold and silver really do in 2016 and where are they headed this year?
Will 2017 see a repeat of 2016, at least as far as gold and silver are concerned. We look at their 2016 performance and prospects for 2017.Tuesday, 03 January 2017
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Gold mine output may have peaked – but will it make any difference?
2016 may see peak global gold output, but any ensing decline will be small initially and unlikely to make any serious gold price impact until the end of the decade.Saturday, 24 December 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Russia adds 31 tonnes of gold to reserves in November
The Russian central bank is continuing as the biggest purchaser of gold for its reserves with the addition of just over 31 tonnes in NovemberWednesday, 21 December 2016