- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Negative interest rates: Great for gold but are they any good for the economy?
The world's central banks appear to be moving almost in concert towards the imposition of negative, or zero interest rates, but while this is very positive for gold there seems to be little evidence that it is providing any general economic stimulus.Tuesday, 16 August 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Gold and silver prices choppy in thin markets
With many key players in northern hemisphere markets on holiday, precious metals price trends tend to be erratc in a thin marketFriday, 12 August 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Why does gold react so sharply to poss. Fed interest rate rise schedule?
While Asia may provide the biggest source of gold demand it is apparent that the gold price is, in reality, mostly set on the U.S. COMEX paper gold market, hence the undue influence of Fed interest rate deliberations on the gold price. But this could...Tuesday, 09 August 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Chinese gold demand hugely down on a year ago
Latest SGE gold withdrawal figures for July show continuing weakness in Chinese gold demand - down 25% year on year so far.Friday, 05 August 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Top gold ETF setting the price agenda
The world's largest gold ETF, SPDR Gold shares (GLD) has added nearly 16 tonnes of gold over the past three trading days. Not coincidentally, the gold price has seen a sharp rise over the same period.Wednesday, 03 August 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Gold and Silver surge as dollar drops and GLD takes in more
Today has seen a continuation of the increase in gold, silver and pgm prices which were given a boost with the dismal US GDP growth figures announce on Friday. The dollar and equities have been falling while precious metals have been seeing good rises...Tuesday, 02 August 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: What is China’s real gold demand?
Commerzbank analysts have again highlighted some of the discrepancies in Chinese gold demand figures as reported by GFMS as against gold import figures from Hong Kong - but even this doesn't represent the full anomalous picture.Wednesday, 27 July 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: GFMS ups gold price forecast but fundamentals could be seen as gloomy
Despite some worrying statistical assessments of gold's changing supply/demand fundamentals, London specialist consultancy GFMS has raised its gold price forecast for the year by around 8%Tuesday, 26 July 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: June Swiss gold statistics highlight continuing reverse gold flows
The latest gold import and export data out of Switzerland has served to confirm the anomalous gold flows we have been seeing already this year - but will any downturn in ETF gold inflows and the gold price bring the pattern back to normal in the months...Monday, 25 July 2016
- LAWRIE WILLIAMS: Russian central bank gold buying back too
After recording only a small 3 tonne increase in its gold reserves in May the Russian Central bank has announced an 18.7 tonne increase in JuneThursday, 21 July 2016